Friday, April 11, 2008

College Timeline for Juniors and Seniors

11th grade
September-November
  • Plan to register for the PSAT.
  • Talk to your counselor about different types of colleges (i.e. business school, technical schools, community colleges, four year colleges, etc,).
  • Research various grants, scholarships, loans, and work study programs.

December-January

  • Review your results from PSAT with your counselor. Consider how to improve your scores if necessary.
  • Jot down a list of colleges that appeal to your academic needs.

January-May

  • Discuss with your counselor about senior classes.
  • Register for the SAT exam. Check with your counselor about specific dates and locations.
  • Attend college fairs and visit different campuses to learn more about the programs offered at the institution.

June-July

  • Narrow down your college list.
  • Start requesting college applications.
  • Enjoy your summer!

Senior year-August-October

  • Check on all deadlines for all the colleges on your new list.
  • Ask your teachers, counselors, coaches, employees, etc for letters of recommendation if required from colleges.
  • If you are not satisfied with your SAT scores, retake the test.
  • Have your official scores from SAT exam sent to the colleges on your list.

November-December

  • Continue with the application process, but be aware of the deadlines.
  • Talk to your parents about completing their income tax forms as soon as possible.
  • Complete the FAFSA form as soon as your parents complete their tax forms.
  • A SAR (Student Aid Report) should be mailed four weeks after the submission date of the form.
  • Make any corrections on FAFSA form and submit it.
  • Send in documentation of your immunizations. You may be required to receive additional vaccinations. Check with the college health center for details.
  • Complete scholarship applications.
  • Mail out all college applications.

April-May

  • Review any materials sent from the schools.
  • Usually colleges send out acceptance letters around this time. Don’t get discourage if you do not receive one or did not get accepted into a college on your list. Stay motivated and think positive thoughts.
  • Take Advanced Placements Examinations, if appropriate. Request your scores be sent to the colleges.
  • Finalize on a college.
  • Enjoy prom!

Late May-June

  • Take final exams.
  • Request that your counselor send your final transcript to your college of choice.
  • Congratulations on completing high school!
  • Review all your college information (i.e. tuition, housing, meal plans, etc,).

June-August

  • Ensure all paperwork and materials are in order.
  • Enjoy your summer!
  • Start your journey to success.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrea: I like your blog. Can you tell me where did you get those flower bullets?
Ana Lyllian Menjivar-Couch

Anonymous said...

I believe that these are good hints for not only Seniors, but Juniors, so that they won't be surprised by all that they still have to achieve in their senior year. What do you think, Andrea?

Andrea Williams said...

I totally agree. I wish I had a timeline when I was in high school. I think students should be aware of the importance of thinking ahead because time does go by fast in high school. I typed the timeline in Word and just inserted the bullets from Blogger. Thanks for the complements. I can’t take all the credit for the blog. My group members and I put in a lot of time and dedication to create a blog that provides assistance to college bound students.

Anonymous said...

I have a daughter who is a junior in school and I showed her this timeline..She acutally wrote down some of the tips. Thanks so much for creating a blog about college preparation.

Anonymous said...

This is a very comprehensive list for both juniors and seniors. To take it one step further, it is never to early for freshman and sophmores to consider their futures. A general discussion with their high school counselor will give them a heads-up on this timelime and help them prepare.

Tekmekia Gilchrist said...

This is great. I have a junior in one of my classes who just asked about a timeline. I will give her this information.

Andrea Williams said...

In addition to the timeline, students should communicate with their counselor dthroughout the school year.

Bernadine P said...

I think it was a great idea to add a timeline to the blog. I am sure it will be very helpful to both Juniors and Seniors who are wondering what and when to do.