The last two years of high school are known as the “golden years.” Juniors and seniors are looking forward to prom, homecoming, spirit week, labeled as upperclassmen, and forming unbreakable friendships. Do students think about what happens after high school? What preparations are taken to help students pursue their dreams? This blog is to provide students with valuable resources as they prepare for their journey to college. Not only will students learn about opportunities about higher education, but parents will gain knowledge about how to assist their children with the college process.
When I was a junior in high school, my guidance counselor told me the basics about preparing for college. My counselor never sat down with me to discuss various types of colleges because it was impossible to give each student individual time. As I entered my senior year, I was unprepared. I still haven’t taken the SAT exam, unaware about financial aid, undecided about a career path, and waited until the last minute to fill out college applications. Fortunately, I was accepted to Fort Valley State University in a timely manner, but my senior year was crazy because I was trying to meet deadlines. I had to venture out on my own to find out what college fits my academic needs. I wish I had more resources available that were geared towards college preparation.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You are right. Many students do not have someone to help them with college preparation. It could be the student does not want to go to the counselors office or the family has no idea what to do because this student is the first generation to attend college. Help is always available but students must ask for assistance. I was lucky because I had many siblings before me.
In response to Andrea comments about not being prepared for higher education. I think exposure should start earlier 8th and 9th grade. Do mock presentations,open discussions. Instead of having one career day have a week or even a month where student's are introduced to whats available army,navy,college,work force etc. also show them the pros and cons of each and let them know the criteria of each thing. Encouraging them to score high and reach beyond the sky not just do enough to get in and get by. Get parents involved because they to need to be encouraged and play majors roles in molding these young people. Don't just send them to school and expected others to form who they are it starts at home.
Post a Comment